The process of preparing for a newborn photography session in our studios can be both an exciting and nerve-wracking experience. We have styled our studio’s to be very welcoming and want you to treat the space as if it is your own! With some preparation, you can help ensure that everything goes smoothly and that we will capture many amazing photos of your little bundle of love.
Here are some tips for preparing for your photo session in our studio:
- Schedule the session within the first two weeks of your baby’s life: Newborns are typically photographed within the first two weeks of birth when they are sleepier and more cooperative. Around 3 weeks they’ll start a cluster feed cycle, which is perfectly fine in regards to your photography session, it just means more feeds and more breaks. After that, the older they get, the more awake they will be.
- Choose the right clothing: Our style is simple and natural – we love to see baby’s skin with the texture and colour of blankets. We have a wide range of coloured blankets and all different textures as well for you to choose from. There are a few nappy covers and a cute little romper in our wardrobe for baby to wear, otherwise please bring along simple onesie and a swaddle that you love as well.
- Bring along sentimental props: Bring along some items that are special to your family, such as a favourite stuffed animal, bootie’s knitted by great-grandma or a blanket.
- Communicate your ideas and preferences with the photographer. Let them know if you have any specific goals in mind for these photographs, like Wall Art or a Baby Imprint Frame. Or if you like a photograph you’ve seen on our instagram or website.
- Feed your baby before the session & have enough milk to cover a few hours if necessary: Feed your baby shortly before the session to ensure they are well-fed and content. A full baby is more likely to sleep and be cooperative during the shoot. Bring extra bottles or breast milk in case they get hungry during the session. Additionally, make sure to bring items that help soothe and comfort your baby, such as a pacifier. Having a full and content baby will make it easier to capture those sleepy calm baby photos you see on our instagram and website.
- Match any previous Baby Imprint Frames: If you are doing an imprint session and have done one for a previous child, please bring along your imprint frames if you’d like them to match!
- We keep the studio warm: Newborns are used to being in a warm and cozy environment, so we will make sure the studio is warm enough to keep your baby comfortable.
- Be patient: Our Newborn sessions are 60 minutes however we are on baby’s timeline. We break for feeds, nappy changes and cuddles; don’t be afraid to take breaks yourself as well, while your photographer works to capture the perfect shot. You will get the full 60 minute session regardless of how long it takes.
- Including the whole family and siblings in the Session– make sure to bring items that the siblings can have as a reward for participating in the shoot etc food, little toy they like. Our style is to make the shoot as playful and fun as possible so the shots are warm and natural.
By following these tips you can help ensure that your newborn photography session is a success and that we will capture some amazing memories that you’ll cherish for a lifetime.
Ready to book your Newborn Photography Session in Sydney or Brisbane – Click here to contact us to receive our brochure!