Having been a family photographer in Sydney for over 17 years I’ve seen many different outfits that have been worn to sessions and in my experience, choosing an outfit for your family photography session in one of our studios you’ll want to consider a few factors.
Here are some tips to help you decide what to wear in your family photography session:
- Coordinate colours: Select colours that complement each other without being too matchy-matchy. Choose a colour scheme and have everyone in the family wear outfits that incorporate those colours. This will create a visually pleasing and coordinated look.
- Keep it timeless: Opt for clothing that has a classic and timeless appeal, as these photos will likely be cherished for years to come. Avoid overly trendy or flashy outfits that may look dated in the future.
- Consider the background: Think about the studio’s background or the backdrop options provided. Choose outfits that will contrast nicely with the background to ensure that your family stands out in the photos.
- Dress comfortably: It’s important for everyone to feel comfortable during the session, especially children. Avoid outfits that are too restrictive, itchy, or uncomfortable. Make sure the clothing allows for ease of movement and doesn’t require constant readjustment.
- Avoid large logos or busy patterns: Large logos or busy patterns can be distracting and take away from the focus of the photos, which is your family. Opt for simpler patterns or solid colours instead.
- Pay attention to fit: Choose clothing that fits well and flatters each family member’s body shape. Avoid baggy or overly tight clothes, as they can distort the appearance in photos. Well-fitted outfits will make everyone look their best.
- Accessorise thoughtfully: Add some accessories to enhance the overall look, but don’t go overboard. Accessories like scarves, hats, or simple jewelry can add visual interest and personality to the outfits.
- Consider layers: Layering can add depth and visual interest to the photos. You can add cardigans, jackets, or scarves to create different looks throughout the session. This also allows for flexibility if you want to change up the style during the shoot.
Remember, the most important thing is for everyone to feel comfortable and confident in their outfits. When you feel good, it translates into more natural and relaxed photographs.